Be sure to PIN it to SAVE it!
Follow The Slim Kitchen on Pinterest!
While store bought seasonings are great to have on hand and a fabulous way to add flavor with very few calories, I prefer to make my own!
Not only is it super cheap, but making your own seasonings allows you to control the ingredients! I personally don’t love salt (I know, weird right?)… so I can add less or eliminate salt in my mixes completely!
In addition, prepackaged mixes often have ingredients that we might like to eliminate from our diets! MSG is found in many premade seasonings as well as added flour, starches and preservatives!
This southwest seasoning is a wonderful mixture that goes well with chicken, fish or pork! Use it to add some flair to your tex mex dishes or as a dry rub for the grill! Love spice? Up the cayenne pepper to add some extra heat! I usually double or triple the recipe and store this in a small container in the cupboard!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients. Store in a sealed container for up to 6 months.
- Perfect for grilled chicken, fish or pork!