Cabbage Roll Soup
Pin it to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Slim Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes & tips!
Growing up cabbage rolls was something that was always on the table! My grandma was from Poland… so we has lots of amazing cabbage dishes when I was younger! Of course cabbage rolls topped the list!
I’ve taken some of the same delicious ingredients and made them into a wonderful hearty soup. This is the perfect dinner on a cold night and tastes even better the next day should you be lucky enough to have any leftovers!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lb extra lean ground beef (or lean ground pork)
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 cup V8 or other vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown onion, garlic and beef in a large pan until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add cabbage to pot and stir until slightly softened. Add flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered on low until rice is fully cooked (about 25-30 minutes)
- Remove bay leaf and serve.