Cheesy Queso Dip
Pin it to your APPETIZER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Slim Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes & tips!
Cheese is one of my favorite things on the planet! I could actually eat obscene amounts of cheese every day! I like all of the kinds too, cottage cheese, goat cheese, bleu … you name it! So the idea of a whole appetizer revolving around cheese… yum! Count me in!
This easy and delicious queso dip is not only delicious, it is quick and easy to make! You won’t find any processed cheese in this delicious dip!
Roasting the peppers before adding them into the dip adds a great flavor! If you happen to have a little chipotle on hand, heck, dice some of that up and throw it in too!!
- 2 Pablano peppers (or 1 Pablano pepper and 1 jalapeño pepper)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup light beer (I used Corona light)
- 1½ cups low fat milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes (or other canned diced tomatoes)
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- 1 fresh tomato
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 cups sharp cheddar
- Roast the peppers per instructions here. Remove seeds and dice.
- In a large non-stick pan, combine olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium low heat until onion is softened. Stir in beer and let simmer 3 minutes.
- Combine milk and cornstarch. Pour into beer mixture stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Add canned tomatoes, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and cilantro. Stir until hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Top with fresh tomatoes.
Adapted from Eating well, January 2009